“Once a month we have “Cake-day” at the QLD Symphony Orchestra. It’s an opportunity for us all to gather for morning tea and try a lavish selection of baked delicacies by our industrious members. I’ve taken on the role to provide cakes for the vegan members of the orchestra, so I’m always looking for new recipes that taste just as good as their non-vegan versions. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the recipe up to the standard I want but some are so delicious on the first attempt that I don’t need to change anything. For this recipe I found a basic vegan cupcake recipe and changed it into this zingy little number with the addition of carrots, currents and walnuts. Enjoy!”
You can find the video on my Musical Menus YouTube page.
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup soy or almond milk
- 2 bananas
- Juice and rind from 2 lemons
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup currents
- 3 cups self raising flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
For the glaze
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Juice and rind from 1 lemon
- Place coconut oil, soy or almond milk, bananas and lemon juice and rind in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Mix together the grated carrot, currents, flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and mixed spice.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Line 2 cupcake tins (makes about 20) with cupcake papers and fill 2/3 full with the mixture. Sprinkle the walnuts on top.
- Bake in a 180 degree celsius oven for 20 minutes.
- While the cupcakes cool, mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice and rind until smooth. Top each cupcake with a small wedge of lemon, then using a teaspoon drizzle with the glaze.
- Eat as many as you like!