“I’ve been waiting a while to put together this dish. It combines a few of my favourite ingredients; salmon, fennel, beetroot and citrus to make a tantalising main course for any dinner party. In keeping with my push to put together dishes that don’t use masses of cream, cheese, butter or carbohydrates, I’ve used the freshness of herbs and citrus notes to marry with the earthiness of the beetroot and the salmon. As you may have guessed by now, I do have a sweet tooth so you could cut back on the honey (in the marinade) or the sugar (in the dressing) if you like. So here it is. My citrus glazed salmon, roasted beetroot and a fennel and orange coleslaw. Enjoy!”
- 3 large beetroot
- Light olive oil
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- Salt and pepper
- Splash of balsamic vinegar (Optional)
- Peel the beetroot and cut into 1cm squares.
- Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil to coat.
- Using a mortar and pestle crush the fennel seeds and add to the beetroot with some salt and pepper.
- Place some baking paper in a baking dish and place beetroot on top.
- Cover dish with foil and place in a 200 degree c oven for 1 hour 20 minutes (or until beetroot is cooked through) stirring occasionally.
- Place in a clean bowl and stir in a couple of tbsp of balsamic vinegar. Keep covered until ready to serve.
- Juice of 1 large lemon and finely grated rind of half
- Juice of 1 lime and finely grated rind of half
- Juice of 2 Oranges and finely grated rind of one half
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove of finely diced garlic
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp dark soy
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- pinch of salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and let simmer until the glaze has reduced by 1/3 to a syrupy consistency.
Fennel and Orange Coleslaw
- 5 oranges
- 1 bulb of fennel
- 3 carrots
- 1 red chilli
- 1 green chilli
- 1/4 cup of basil
- Cut the skin from the oranges making sure to remove all the white pith. Carefully cut the segments out and put aside.
- Using a mandolin, cut the fennel into matchstick sized pieces. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Peel and grate the carrots and add to the fennel.
- De-seed both the chillies, cut into small strips and finely dice into 1mm pieces. Add to the fennel.
- Finely cut the basil into strips and add to the fennel. Put aside with the oranges until you’re ready to serve.
- 1/2 cup of orange juice.
- 1/3 of light olive oil
- 1/4 cup of rice wine vinegar.
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Combine all the ingredients and mix together well.
- 6 pieces of skinless salmon
- Citrus glaze
- Fennel coleslaw
- Orange segments
- Orange vinaigrette
- Roast beetroot
- 1 handful of green beans
- Sesame seeds
- Extra basil for garnish
- Using a pastry brush cover the top and sides of the salmon with the citrus glaze. Place on baking paper on a baking tray and cook in a moderate oven for 10 to 15 minutes, basting once.
- Add the orange segments and orange vinaigrette to the fennel coleslaw.
- Top and tail the beans and cut in half. Steam or blanch them removing them before they lose their crunch. Add them to the beetroot mixture.
- Put a line of the beetroot and beans diagonally across the plate and top with a piece of salmon. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top and decorate with some finely shredded basil.
- Put a serving of fennel coleslaw on the side and there you have it!