“Is it okay to make a new years resolution in May? Better late than never I suppose! So here it is: I plan to try to post recipes at least once a fortnight from now on. (Let’s see how long that lasts). So, to start the ball rolling I’ve been trying a new coconut loaf recipe that is great for anyone lactose intolerant or vegan…or just hungry. And it’s super easy! Just throw all the ingredients in a mixer and stick it in the oven. While testing it I tried 2 variations of different ingredients and both loafs were fabulous, moist and tasty. I think this will be my new standby for those last minute baking emergencies. Enjoy!”
(Photo by Gary Donald Corbett)
Ingredients for loaf
- 300g self raising flour
- 100g shredded coconut
- 100g white sugar or coconut sugar
- 50g coconut oil or olive oil
- 300g coconut cream
- zest of 2 limes or 1 lemon
- juice of 2 limes or 1 lemon
- 100g icing sugar
- 20g shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Grease a loaf tin and line with baking paper.
- Put all loaf ingredients into a mixer and combine.
- Transfer to loaf tin and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin
- Lightly toast the coconut in a pan until just golden.
- Combine Lemon or lime juice with icing sugar until all lumps are gone.
- Spoon mixture over warm cake the sprinkle with toasted coconut.